USF Names Presidential Search Committee
The University of South Florida has named the committee that will look for President Judy Genshaft's successor.
Genshaft announced her retirement this past Monday. It's effective July 1, 2019.
The 15 people who make up the search committee are a mix of USF trustees, advisers and alumni, along with three faculty members and one student.
“Our search committee members strongly represent the communities we serve, they come from diverse backgrounds and each will bring a unique perspective to this process,” said Board of Trustees Chair Brian Lamb during a conference call Friday afternoon.
“As a board, we have to be mindful and constantly thinking about how we make sure that individuals that really care about the future of the University of South Florida have an opportunity to participate,” he said.
The committee will be chaired by trustee Les Muma. Along with his wife, Pam, the 1966 USF alum has donated more than $56 million to USF, including $25 million to the business college that now bears their name.
“This process is going to be managed in a very transparent way,” said Muma. “(Genshaft) has USF on such a tremendous trajectory, we cannot step back from that one iota. That’s got to be our overriding goal is to pick somebody who can continue the trajectory that we’re on today.
A search firm should be hired in the next week or two, with a nationwide search for candidates to follow. The committee will recommend a list of candidates for the board to interview early next year, and then present them with finalists.
Trustees hope to decide on a new USF president during spring 2019. The Florida Board of Governors will also have to sign off on their selection.
Other members of the committee include:
• Dr. Kathy Weedman Arthur – researcher at USF St. Petersburg College of Arts & Sciences
• Braulio Colón – chair-elect of USF Alumni Association Board of Directors; VP at Helios Education Foundation
• Anddrikk Frazier – USF alum, member of Consolidation Task Force; founder, Integral Energy
• Dr. Robert D. Frisina – USF professor in medical engineering, chemical & biological engineering and communication sciences & disorders
• Stephanie Goforth – USF alum and trustee, chair of USF St. Pete Campus Board; Sr. VP at Northern Trust Corporation
• Darlene Jordan – member of the Board of Governors of the State University System of Florida; Executive Director of Gerald R. Jordan Foundation
• Shaquille Kent – USF student, current Student Body Vice President
• Rhea Law – USF alum, former trustee, only female chair in board’s history; leads the Florida offices of the law firm of Buchanan, Ingersoll & Rooney
• George Morgan – USF alum, chair of USF Foundation Board; served in executive and financial management for more than 20 years
• Frederick “Rick” Piccolo – member of USF Sarasota-Manatee Campus Board; president/CEO of Sarasota Bradenton International Airport
• John Ramil – USF alum and trustee, former board chair; retired president & CEO of TECO Energy
• Debbie Sembler – former USF trustee & former chair of USF St. Pete Campus Board
• Byron Shinn – USF alum and trustee, chair of USF Sarasota-Manatee Campus Board; partner-in-charge of the Bradenton and Sarasota offices of Carr, Riggs & Ingram LLC CPA firm
• Dr. Charles Stanish – anthropology professor, USF College of Arts and sciences, executive director of USF Institute for the Advanced Study of Culture and the Environment
A full bio of each committee member is available here.