USF Awards More Than 4,000 Degrees At Fall Commencement
It's a busy three-day weekend for the University of South Florida system as the school confers almost 4,200 degrees during the fall 2015 commencement ceremonies.
According to USF officials, the Tampa campus will award 2,467 bachelor’s, 920 master’s and 130 doctoral degrees during four ceremonies Friday and Saturday.
More than 2,500 graduates are expected to march in the university's 107th commencement convocation.
The USF Alumni Association is giving three Outstanding Graduate Awards, one at each campus: Accounting major Mary Babcock (Tampa), Economics and Global Business double major Rachel Gordon (St. Petersburg) and Interdisciplinary Social Science Ashley Metelus (Sarasota-Manatee).
USF St. Petersburg boasts both the system's youngest and oldest graduates: 19-year-old Siarra Rogers (bachelor's in political science) and 73-year-old Margaret Brown (master's in liberal arts).
USF in Tampa will also award a pair of honorary degrees to people with ties to the university.
Tod Leiweke, the Chief Operating Officer of the National Football League, will receive an honorary doctorate in business. Leiweke previously was Chief Executive Officer of Tampa Bay Sports and Entertainment, parent company of the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Amalie Arena. Leiweke also served as co-chairman of USF's Unstoppable fund-raising campaign, and still sits on the USF Foundation Board.
- Friday, Dec. 11, 6 p.m. ceremony will recognize undergraduates from the College of Arts & Sciences. Approximately 700 graduates are anticipated.
- Saturday, Dec. 12, 9 a.m. ceremony will recognize undergraduates from the College of Arts & Sciences and the Muma College of Business. Approximately 600 graduates are anticipated.
- Saturday, Dec. 12, 1:30 p.m. ceremony will recognize undergraduates from the Colleges of Behavioral and Community Sciences, Education, Engineering, Nursing, Public Health, Undergraduate Studies and The Arts. Approximately 600 graduates are anticipated.
- Saturday, Dec. 12, 6 p.m. ceremony will recognize graduate students from all colleges. Approximately 700 graduates are anticipated.
- Sunday, Dec. 13, 2 p.m., Bradenton Area Convention Center
USF St. Petersburg:
- Sunday, Dec. 13, 6 p.m. ceremony will take place at the Mahaffey Theatre