The WUSF Veterans Coming Home project is partnering with The Veterans Legacy Summit hosted by the Patterson Foundation. The multi-day summit offers a wealth of events from art walks and a free concert with the West Point Band to the keynote address by best-selling author Wes Moore.
WUSF Florida Matters will record a panel discussion "live" as part of the Legacy Summit's Zoned In presentations. You are welcome to be a part of the audience on Nov. 15 from 9-10 a.m. The event is free, but registration is required.
The panel, moderated by host Carson Cooper, will discuss The Veterans' Transition: Opening Up Doors for Re-entry. Panelists are Colleen Krepstekies, an Iraq veteran and public affairs manager with the Florida Department of Veterans Affairs; Tedd "Gunny" Weiser, interim director of Veteran Student Services at Saint Leo University; Eric Garcia with Team Red, White and Blue. The Zoned In presentations are scheduled at Florida Studio Theater, 1247 1st Street, Sarasota, FL 34236. To register, click here.
Below is a detailed schedule. All events are free, but all require registration.
Thursday, Nov. 13, 2014
- 5:30pm Gallery Walk at The Ringling Museum with Ann Hirsch and Pablo Eduardo
- 7:00pm Creative Conversations at Historic Asolo Theater with Ann Hirsch and Pablo Eduardo
Friday, Nov. 14, 2014
Veterans Legacy Film Festival at The Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall
- 11:45am "We the People"
- 1:15pm "Veterans of Color"
- 2:15pm Post-film discussion
- 3:15pm "Good Morning Vietnam"
- 7:30pm "The War Comes Home" created by Soledad O'Brien
- 8:30pm Post-film discussion with Soledad O'Brien, Wes Moore & Lt. Gen. Martin R. Steele, USMC (Ret.)
Art Symposia at Ringling College of Art & Design
- 1:00-2:15pm Patriot Plaza Artist Panel - Process: The Hand of the Artist, Technology and Craftsman Collaborators
- 2:30-3:45pm Documentary Photographers Panel - Issues in Photojournalism and the Military Experience
- 4:00-5:00pm Breakout Photography Sessions
Saturday, Nov. 15, 2014
- 8:00am-12:00pm Zoned In - Opening with Abraham Lincoln followed by Workshops and Discussion Panels
- 12:30-4:30pm Legacy Zone - National Veterans-Serving Organization Exhibits - Registration Not Required
- 2:00-3:30pm Celebrate Service & Sacrifice at Patriot Plaza, Sarasota National Cemetery - Tickets Required. Now available!
Sunday, Nov. 16, 2014
REGISTRATION IS AVAILABLE HERE.