Rhema Thompson

Rhema Thompson began her post at WJCT on a very cold day in January 2014.

She has been in the news industry for more than six years, working in both broadcast and print. She received her master's degree in broadcast from Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. She received her bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Connecticut and is a Husky for life.

Before joining the WJCT team, she served as education reporter for the Pensacola News Journal. Over the course of her career, she has produced for CBS News and covered crime, courts, arts and entertainment for several publications including The Newport Daily News, The Hartford Courant and The New York Daily News.

The Jacksonville mother once sentenced to 20 years for shooting into a wall will now serve 65 days in county jail and two years under house arrest under a new plea agreement.

Marissa Alexander agreed to take a plea deal Monday afternoon. 

She pleaded guilty to three counts of aggravated assault and because she has already served time, she'll only spend 65 more days behind bars.

The man convicted of fatally shooting a Jacksonville teen at a Gate gas station in November 2012 will spend the rest of his life behind bars without the possibility of parole.

Circuit Judge Russell Healey has sentenced Michael Dunn, 47, to life in prison for the death of 17-year-old Jordan Davis.

Dunn will serve an additional maximum sentence of 90 years in prison for three counts of attempted murder as well as 15 years for one count of firing a deadly missile into the vehicle where Davis and his friends sat.

There’s a new test in town and it's replacing Florida's long-established FCAT.

The new Florida Standards Assessment will test students on their knowledge of a set of rigorous new state standards based on the now infamous Common Core. But will students be ready?

In part two of a three part series on the issue, WJCT’s Rhema Thompson explains there are some concerns about how the state is rolling out and grading this new test.

Jurors in the retrial of Michael Dunn have found him guilty in the shooting death of 17-year-old Jordan Davis.

Jordan Davis’s father Ron Davis wiped away tears as Assistant State Attorney John Guy made his final statements before jury deliberations in the retrial of Michael Dunn Tuesday.

The fourth day of testimony in the Michael Dunn trial brought a lengthy end to the state's case and five new witnesses for the defense.

Forensic consultant Michael Knox testified that 17-year-old Jordan Davis’s car door was open and he may have been partially outside the vehicle when he was shot by Michael Dunn.

Dunn is charged with fatally shooting the teen at a Southside Gate gas station during a confrontation over loud music. Dunn has claimed he acted in self-defense, and in February, a jury deadlocked on whether to convict him of murder

On the second day of testimony in the Michael Dunn retrial, jurors heard from eight witnesses, including the three teens who were with 17-year-old Jordan Davis when he died.


Jordan Davis leaned back and cowered in the moments before his death.

That’s the picture Assistant State Attorney John Guy painted before jurors on the first day of testimony in the retrial of Michael Dunn.

Guy gave his opening statements to the 12-member panel Thursday, recounting the last moments of Davis's life. The teen died after being shot by Dunn following a dispute over loud music playing from his friend's car at a Jacksonville gas station.

"Michael Dunn had had enough of the mouthy, audacious teen in front of him," Guy said.

After a lengthy first day, 42 people remain in the jury pool that could decide the fate of Michael Dunn for a second time.

Jury selection began around 10 a.m. Monday in the case.

Dunn is accused of killing 17-year-old Jordan Davis during a confrontation over loud music at a Southside Gate gas station in November 2012.

In February , as eyes across the country watched, a jury deadlocked on whether to convict him of murder.

Attorneys for Michael Dunn will have to wait a little longer to find out if his second murder trial will stay in Jacksonville.