Closures, Cancellations And Sandbag Locations From Wednesday Ahead Of Hurricane Irma
Hurricane Irma's projected path is still not clear, but state leaders are urging Floridians to prepare for the worst.
Some events around the Tampa Bay area have already been cancelled and county leaders are providing sandbags for residents who want them.
Here's a list of closings and other need-to-know information as Hurricane Irma approaches:
Gov. Rick Scott directed state offices to be closed in all 67 Florida counties Friday to prepare for the storm. Before Friday, state office closures will be dictated by what individual counties do. Scott also asked state employees to volunteer in support of Florida's emergency shelter mobilization efforts.
Hernando’s Pine Island Park, 10840 Pine Island Drive, will be closed on Thursday until further notice due to potential flooding.
All Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library events have been cancelled from Friday until Tuesday.
Hillsborough's 13th Judicial Circuit Court will be closed Thursday and Friday and shelter and detention hearings will not be held. Decisions for Monday operations are pending. For updates visit www.fljud13.org.
Most Hernando County government offices will be closed Thursday and Friday, including the Hernando County Tax Collector, the Supervisor of Elections and the Hernando County Property Appraiser. The Clerk of the Circuit Court & Comptroller will be open Thursday but closed Friday.
The Friday event at Amalie Arena featuring comedians Chris Tucker and D.L. Hughley has been rescheduled to October 7.
The Florida Inventors Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony scheduled for Friday has been postponed and will be rescheduled to a future date.
The USF football game at the University of Connecticut has been moved up to 10:30 Saturday morning, in order to allow USF to return home ahead of the storm.
The memorial ceremony for Snooty the manatee at the South Florida Museum in Bradenton has been postponed from Sunday to Sept. 24.
The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Empress of the Seas originally scheduled to arrive on Saturday at Port Tampa Bay will now arrive mid-morning on Friday. The Saturday sailing has been cancelled.
The Tampa Boat Show, which was scheduled for this weekend, has been postponed until Oct. 13-15. For more information, visit www.tampaboatshow.com/.
The Bay Pines VA Health Care System ceremony, POW/MIA Remembrances , originally scheduled for September 12, has been postponed due to Hurricane Irma. Contact the Bay Pines VA Public Affairs at 727-398-9531 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sunday game against the Miami Dolphins has been rescheduled to Nov. 19 in Miami.
The Pinellas County Mobile Collection event planned for this Saturday, September 9, at the SPC Allstate Center, 3200 34th St. S., has been cancelled.
USF Sarasota-Manatee is canceling its upcoming “What now, Cuba?” seminar, which had been scheduled for next Monday, September 11. Tickets will be fully refunded automatically.
All elementary and middle school child care programs at the St. Petersburg Parks and Recreation centers are cancelled for Thursday and Friday.
Gov. Rick Scott ordered the Florida Department of Transportation to suspend tolls across the entire state.
Polk County public schools are closed on Friday.
Hillsborough County public schools and district offices will be closed on Thursday and Friday. All school related activities are canceled as well.
Pinellas County public schools will be closed Thursday and Friday. All school related activities are canceled.
Sarasota County public schools are closed on Friday. All school-related activities are canceled.
Manatee County public schools are closed on Friday. All Friday games have been moved to Thursday evening.
Hernando County schools will be closed on Thursday and Friday. Afterschool activities are also canceled.
Pasco County public schools are closed Friday. All school-related activities are canceled.
USF-St. Petersburg and USF Sarasota-Manatee will be closed Thursday through Monday.
The University of South Florida-Tampa will close its campus from Thursday through Sunday. Officials will monitor the storm and determine whether to close the campus on Monday.
The University of Tampa will be closed Thursday through Monday.
Pasco-Hernando State College will close all its campuses on Thursday and Friday.
Florida Gulf Coast University will be closed Thursday and Friday.
For more information, visit www.pascoemergencymanagement.com. Earlier Tuesday, the county opened sandbag operations for 24 hours, but shortly after 9 p.m., they sent out an email announcing overwhelming demand has reduced their sand supply.
They said more sand has been order and will be delivered to their sites Wednesday morning beginning at 8 a.m.
- West Pasco Government Center, 7356 State Street, New Port Richey
- Mitchell Park, 4825 Little Road, New Port Richey
- Fire Station #17, 2951 Seven Springs Blvd, New Port Richey
- Magnolia Valley Golf Course Clubhouse, 7223 Massachusetts Ave, New Port Richey
- Veterans Memorial Park, 14333 Hicks Rd, Hudson
- C-Barn, 30908 Warder Road, San Antonio
- Dade City Police Dept., 38042 Pasco Ave., Dade City
- Land O' Lakes Rec Center, 3032 Collier Pkwy, Land O' Lakes
- Wesley Chapel District Park, 7727 Boyette Rd, Wesley Chapel
- Zephyrhills Fire Station, 6907 Dairy Road, Zephyrhills
The following locations are open during daylight hours:
- John Chesnut Sr. Park, 2200 East Lake Road, Palm Harbor
- Lealman Community Park, 3890 55th Ave. N., St. Petersburg
- Taylor Park, 1100 Eighth Ave. S.W., Largo
- Gulfport - Gulfport City Hall, 2401 53rd St. S.
- Redington Shores - Town Hall, 17425 Gulf Blvd.
- Oldsmar - East side of City Hall, 100 State St. West
- Pinellas Park - Public Works Facilities Building, 6151 78th Ave. N.
- Pinellas Park – Helen Howarth Park, 6301 94th Ave.
- Safety Harbor - 1200 Railroad Ave.
- Pinellas Park - Helen Howarth Park, 6301 94th Ave.
The following sites will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. for the next several days.
- Lake Vista Recreation Center - 1401 62nd Avenue South
- Azalea Park-7200 16th Avenue North
- Main Library - 3745 9th Avenue North ( west Parking lot)
- Northeast Park - 875 62nd Avenue NE (Cardinal drive entrance to Mangrove Bay Golf Course)
- Bartlett Park - 2000 7th Street South (off 22nd Avenue South between 6th and 7th Street South)
- Northwest Pool Parking Lot - 2331 60th Street North
The following locations are open from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m.
- West Service Unit, 9805 Sheldon Road, Tampa
- South Service Unit, 8718 Old Big Bend Road, Gibsonton
- East Service Unit, 4702 Sydney Road, Plant City
- Ed Radice Park, 14720 Ed Radice Drive, Tampa
- South County Community Collection Center, 13000 US Highway 41, Gibsonton
- Hillsborough Heights Community Collection Center, 6209 CR 579, Seffner
- Central Service Unit, 4115 South 66th Street, Tampa
Sandbags will be available to city residents at three locations daily from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Bobby Hicks Pool, 4201 West Mango Avenue
- Barksdale Active Adult Center @ MacFarlane Park, 1801 North Lincoln Avenue
- Jackson Heights Community Center, 3310 East Lake Avenue
Residents can follow updates at @CityofTampa and @AlertTampa on Twitter and can report flooding issues by calling (813) 274-3101.
The following sites will be open from 8 a.m. to sundown. Bring your own shovel.
- Hernando County Department of Public Works, 1525 East Jefferson St., Brooksville
- Hernando County Fire Rescue Station 1, 1479 Parker Ave., Spring Hill
- Ridge Manor Community Center, 34240 Cortez Blvd., Dade City
- Fire Station 2, 3445 Bob Hartung Court, Spring Hill
All of Polk County's sandbag fill sites are self-serve. There is a 30 bag limit per person.
- Caloosa Lake Fire Station, 910 14684 US-27, Lake Wales
- Cottonwood Fire Station 220, 126 Cottonwood Dr, Davenport
- Crystal Lake Support Station, 2450 E Main St, Lakeland
- Cypress Garden Station 580, 2101 Register Rd SE, Winter Haven
- Golfview Fire Station 870, 808 E Zack St, Tampa
- Indian Lake Estates Fire Station 960, 6221 Hogan Ln, Indian Lake Estates
- Jan Phyl Village Fire Station 450, 333 American Spirit Rd, Winter Haven
- Mulberry Fire Station 720, 900 NE 5th St, Mulberry
- Nalcrest Fire Station 950, Leisure Ln W, Lake Wales
- Polk City Fire Station 130, 200 Commonwealth Blvd. SW
- Providence Fire Station 120, 8936 US Hwy 98 N, Lakeland
- Sleepy Hill Fire Station 110, 3030 Sleepy Hill Rd
- Solivita Fire Station 670 Address, 1201 Cypress Pkwy, Poinciana
- Willow Oak Fire Station 710, 4210 Willis Rd, Mulberry
St. Petersburg officials are urging residents to wash laundry and run dishwashers ahead of the approaching storm to avoid putting unneeded stress on the city’s beleaguered sewage system during periods of heavy rainfall.