Seminoles Keep Money Flowing Despite Gambling Talks
After meeting this week with Gov. Rick Scott's administration to try to reach a gambling agreement, the Seminole Tribe of Florida said Thursday it continues to make payments to the state that will total $306 million this year.
A federal judge last month ruled against the state in a dispute about the tribe offering blackjack and other "banked" card games at Seminole casinos. That dispute stemmed from the expiration last year of part of a gambling agreement, known as a compact, that the tribe and the state signed in 2010.
The compact allowed the tribe to offer certain games at its casinos in exchange for payments to the state. Amid the legal battling, the tribe and the Scott administration have tried to reach agreement on a new compact. They agreed on a proposed deal late last year, but it was not ratified by the Legislature.
The tribe issued a statement Thursday that acknowledged holding a meeting Monday with representatives of Scott as part of a "continuing desire to finalize a new gaming compact with the state of Florida."
The tribe said it continues to make payments to the state but said it "would not discuss the specific content of its compact negotiations with the state." Scott also offered little detail when asked by a reporter Tuesday about the talks. "We're going to continue to look at what the right thing is for the state of Florida," he said.