© 2021 All Rights reserved WUSF
News, Jazz, NPR
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
Local / State

Tampa Bay Flooding: Who To Call, What To Do

Daylina Miller
WUSF Public Media
Flooding in Pasco County at Ridge Road and U.S. 19 on August 4, 2015.

Whether it’s a full-blown hurricane or just a tropical storm - Erika has the potential to bring heavy rains and with that comes the potential of flooding.

So, here is information on who to call and what to do should you experience flooding. If your county is offering free sandbags, be sure to bring your own shovel.

Hillsborough County

  • Residents can call (813) 272-5900 to report flooding and road problems or additional information.
  • Locations offering free sandbags.

Manatee County

  • Field Maintenance Division of Public Works at (941) 708-7497.

Pasco County

  • Call the Resident Information Center (RIC): information line (727) 847-2411, (352) 523-2411 or (813) 996-2411. After 5:00 p.m. call 2-1-1.
  • Sand bag operation sites.

Pinellas County

Polk County

  • If you see any flooding call Natural Resources at (863) 534-7377.
  • County residents can gather a maximum of 25-30 sandbags at 14 Polk County Fire Rescue stations.

St. Petersburg

Sarasota County

Southwest Florida Water Management District


If you want to learn more about flood insurance, check out the National Flood Insurance Program or call 1-888-379-9531.

WUSF 89.7 depends on donors for the funding it takes to provide you the most trusted source of news and information here in town, across our state, and around the world. Support WUSF now by giving monthly, or make a one-time donation online.