11 Arrested During Gasparilla Festivities
Tampa Police arrested 11 people, including five on felony charges during the Gasparilla festivities on Saturday.
Another 38 people were hospitalized, most for minor injuries or alcohol-related issues, police said.
Police Chief Brian Dugan said there were no major incidents.
"The vast majority of people at the parade were well behaved and had a great time," said Police Chief Brian Dugan. "Once again the City put on a great show. A lot of people work hard to make this a safe and fun event. I think the parade goers really appreciate that."
Here’s a breakdown of the arrests. The numbers are preliminary:
- Two men were arrested for battery on a law enforcement officer when Tampa Police officers said they were asked to intervene after one of the men refused to leave a location. The man struck an officer, police said, and as he was being arrested, another man struck an officer. One of the officers was injured, though not seriously, police said..
- Two men were arrested for felony criminal mischief after police said they stood on top of a Tampa Police vehicle and damaged it.
- One person was arrested for felony battery in a domestic dispute.
- Three people were arrested with misdemeanors for disorderly conduct.
- Two people were arrested with misdemeanors for underage drinking.
- One person was arrested with a misdemeanor for obstruction.