Grand Jury To Meet Again in Shooting Death of Former FAMU Player
The North Carolina attorney general's office is going back to a grand jury in an attempt to indict a Charlotte police officer accused of shooting an unarmed former Florida A&M University football player last year.
Attorney General Roy Cooper said Wednesday that prosecutors will resubmit the case against officer Randall Kerrick on Monday.
A Mecklenburg County grand jury on Tuesday refused to indict Kerrick on a charge of involuntary manslaughter. Next week's request is expected to go to a different grand jury in Mecklenburg County.
Investigators say Kerrick shot 24-year-old Jonathan Ferrell on Sept. 14. The former Florida A&M football player wrecked his car and went to a nearby house and banged on the door, apparently for help. The resident called police and three officers responded. Investigators say Kerrick fired 12 shots, 10 of which hit Ferrell. Kerrick was the only officer who fired his gun.
The voluntary manslaughter charge carries a prison sentence of up to 11 years.
Cooper said he is going before a grand jury again because only 14 of the 18 members of the original panel heard evidence in the case.
Kerrick's lawyer would not talk about the case Wednesday.
The attorney general's office is handling the case at the request of the Mecklenburg County District Attorney Andrew Murray, a former law partner of Kerrick's defense team.
Kerrick has been suspended without pay.