Florida Sees Biggest Daily Increase in COVID-19 Cases; Hillsborough Death
Florida saw 714 new people test positive for COVID-19 on Friday, the largest daily increase since the coronavirus outbreak began in the state.
The Florida Department of Health’s report Friday evening brings the total number of cases to 3,198.
Of the total, 46 people have died, including 17 news cases reported on Friday. One of those deaths was a 71-year-old woman in Hillsborough, the second in the county, according to the health department.
Hillsborough continues to lead the Tampa Bay area with the number of people with positive tests, with 174. Of those cases, 21 people have been hospitalized.
Polk County, with 28 total cases on Friday, has seen its numbers of positive cases nearly double in just a two-day period.
Tampa Bay area positive tests for COVID-19:
• Hillsborough County: 174 (168 local, 6 non-Hillsborough residents)
• Pinellas County: 82 (74 local, 8 non-Pinellas residents)
• Sarasota County: 43 (35 local, 8 non-Sarasota residents)
• Manatee County: 29 (29 local)
• Pasco County: 25 (24 local, 1 non-Pasco resident)
• Polk County: 28 (28 local)
• Hernando 12 (12 local)
WUSF 89.7 depends on donors for the funding it takes to provide you the most trusted source of news and information here in town, across our state, and around the world. Support WUSF now by giving monthly, or make a one-time donation online at WUSF.org/give