Navigators will be at Recreation Centers in Tampa
With a March 31st deadline to sign up for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act, Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn is joining in the effort to get folks to sign up. So-called healthcare "navigators" will soon be at nine recreation centers across Tampa to help people with the enrollment process.
Buckhorn was joined Monday by Congresswoman Kathy Castor and U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius at the Loretta Ingraham Center, one of the locations where navigators will be available to assist people in signing up for health care insurance.
Buckhorn assured the public this isn't costing the city anything.
"No, there's no cost associated with this. We're operating during normal operating hours, we're providing space for the navigators. The material that will be handed out is provided by the secretary's office and so there is no cost there."
Navigators will be available from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on select dates each week beginning next week through the enrollment deadline of March 31, 2014.
- · Springhill Center, 1000 E Eskimo - Mondays
- · Loretta Ingraham Center, 1615 N Hubert Ave - Tuesdays
- · Cyrus Greene Center, 2101 E Dr. MLK Jr Blvd - Tuesdays
- · Jackson Heights Center, 3310 E Lake Ave – Tuesdays
- · Hunt Center at Al Lopez Park, 4810 N. Himes Ave – Wednesdays
- · Gwen Miller Center, 6410 N 32nd St - Wednesdays
- · Forest Hills Center, 724 W 109th Ave - Thursdays
- · Port Tampa Center, 4702 W McCoy St – Thursdays
- ·Copeland Park Center, 11001 N 15th St - Fridays
There are currently 96,000 uninsured residents in Tampa.