See A List of Cold Weather Shelters Open Tonight
With Tampa Bay area temperatures expected to drop into the low 30s tonight with wind chills even lower, cold weather shelters will open all over the Bay area. We'll update the list when we receive new information.
Hillsborough County offers a number of shelter options.
- Brandon Community Center, 510 E. Sadie St., Brandon, 813-635-8179
Opens at 6 p.m., welcomes homeless individuals and families with children in the Brandon Area.
- Metropolitan Ministries, 2010 N. Florida Ave., Tampa, After hours phone: 813-209-1077
Opens at 4 p.m., welcomes families.
- Salvation Army, 1514 N. Florida Ave., Tampa, After hours phone: 813-221-4440
Opens at 4 p.m., welcomes adults only.
- Jackson Springs Recreation Center, 8620 Jackson Springs Rd., Town 'N Country, 813-554-5064
Opens at 6:30 p.m., welcomes adults and families.
- Wimauma Community Center, 5705 Hillsborough St., Wimauma, 813-635-3500
Opens at 6 p.m., welcomes adults and families.
Operators of Hillsborough shelters are also looking for donations of cold weather clothing like hats, gloves and scarves, as well as blankets and paper goods.
Pinellas County shelters will open both Monday and Tuesday nights around 6 p.m. and accept guests all night long, closing at 6 a.m. Guests will be given a hot evening meal and breakfast in the morning.
- Peace Memorial Presbyterian Church, 110 S. Ft. Harrison Ave., Clearwater, 727-442-3677
- St. Ceceila Catholic Church, 820 Jasmine Way, Clearwater, 727-447-3494
- Boys & Girls Club of the Suncoast in Pinellas Park, 7790 61st Street N, Pinellas Park 727-574-5437
- Northwest Presbyterian Church, 6330 54th Ave. N, St. Petersburg, 727-544-4551
- Salvation Army, 1400 4th Street S, St. Petersburg, 727-822-4954
- The Turning Point, 1810 5th Ave. N, St. Petersburg, 727-823-7811
- St. Timothy’s Lutheran Church, 812 E. Tarpon Ave., Tarpon Springs
Families with children are asked to call 727-528-5762 or 727-893-7627 to make arrangements to stay in a motel.
- Community Congregational Church, 6533 Circle Drive, New Port Richey, 727-597-0428.
No families are allowed.
- The Holy Ground Shelter, 8835 Denton Avenue, Hudson Families are accepted.
- United Way is going to provide cold weather hotel sheltering for families with children through Metropolitan Ministries. Families with children needing shelter tonight and tomorrow night on the west side of the county should call Dan Campbell at 727-385-4170.For shelter in East Pasco, call 813-810-8670.
Windmoor Healthcare is offering free cab service to anyone who needs a ride to a Pasco cold weather shelter. Call 727-548-5733 for more information.
And Pasco County Transportation (PCT) is also providing free transportation to shelters on its 14, 21 and 30 bus routes. Passengers need to tell the driver they are headed to a cold weather shelter when they board.
Hernando County will open two shelters, one for men and one for women.
- Men's: 1090 Mondon Hill Road, Brooksville, 352-799-2912 ext.103
- Women's: 1163 Howell Avenue, Brooksville, 352-799-2912 ext.109