Pentagon Orders Most Civilians Back to Work
In a Department of Defense statement released Saturday, Secretary Chuck Hagel orders most of the 400,000 furloughed civilian workers to return to work beginning next week.
Hagel has directed military departments to review furloughed workers who contribute to the morale, well-being, capabilities and readiness of service members. The Pay our Military Act signed into law this week by President Obama, Hagels said, gives him the authority to bring back most of the furloughed civilians.
I expect us to be able to significantly reduce – but not eliminate – civilian furloughs under this process. Employees can expect to hear more information from their managers starting this weekend.
There are no specifics on the MacDill Air Force Base website as of Saturday afternoon. MacDill Commander Col. Scott DeThomas said last week that updated information would be posted on the base website and MacDill's Facebook page. Also, furloughed civilians can contact their supervisors.