Florida Department Of Corrections Starts Evacuating Inmates
The Florida Department Of Corrections has started evacuating some of their smaller facilities in South Florida.
While institutions are stocking up on more water and food supplies, some satellite facilities, community work release centers and work camps are evacuating to other DOC facilities. As of Thursday, 5400 inmates had been evacuated according to Michelle Glady, director of communications for the DOC.
“Evacuation determinations are made in the best interest of the inmates and public safety,” wrote a DOC representative in a press release. “Safety of FDC staff and inmates is paramount. The Department is working around the clock to take necessary precautions for the storm.”
The current list of evacuated facilities includes:
- Ft. Myers Work Camp
- Martin Work Camp
- Atlantic Community Release Center
- West Palm Beach Community Release Center
- Ft. Pierce Community Release Center
- Loxahatchee Road Prison
- Opa Locka Work Release Center
- Miami North Work Release Center
- Turning Point Work Release Center
- Bridges of Cocoa
- Bridges of Orlando
- Kissimmee Community Release Center
- Orlando Bridge
- The Transition House of Kissimmee
- Orlando Community Release Center
- Pinellas Community Release Center
- Suncoast Community Release Center
- Bradenton Bridge
- The Transition House of Tarpon
- Largo Road Prison
- The Transition House of Bartow
- Re-Entry Center of Ocala
- St. Petersburg Community Release Center
- Desoto Annex
- Polk C.I. Work Camp
- Hernando Correctional Institute
- The Transition House of Dinsmore
- Jacksonville Bridge
- Bridges of Jacksonville
- Bridges of Lake City
- Bridges of Santa Fe
- Tomoka Correctional Institution
- Tomoka Work Camp
- Tomoka Community Release Centers
- Gainesville Work Camp
- Sago Palm Work Camp
The Department Of Corrections will only announce additional evacuations after they are completed and the location of inmates who have been relocated will be reflected online within 24 hours. This delay is generally due to security concerns.
Visitation to all institutions has been cancelled for the weekend.
We will update this post with any additional evacuations as they are announced.
Copyright 2020 WLRN 91.3 FM. To see more, visit .