South Florida Swimmer Contracts Brain-Eating Amoeba
A person has been hospitalized after health officials say they contracted a brain-eating amoeba while swimming in Broward County.
The Florida Department of Health confirmed the infection Tuesday. Officials say the person's infection stems from Naegleria fowleri, a microscopic, single-cell amoeba commonly found in freshwater lakes, ponds and rivers.
The health department hasn't specified where the person came in contact with the amoeba, but did say the person swam in unsanitary water on private property in Broward County.
The gender and age of the person have not been released.
Copyright 2016 Health News Florida