See A List of Cold Weather Shelters Open Tonight
With Tampa Bay area temperatures expected to drop into the low 30s tonight with wind chills even lower, cold weather shelters will open all over the Bay area. We'll update the list when we receive new information.
Hillsborough Countyoffers a number of shelter options.
- Brandon Community Center, 510 E. Sadie St., Brandon, 813-635-8179
Opens at 6 p.m., welcomes homeless individuals and families with children in the Brandon Area.
Opens at 4 p.m., welcomes families.
Opens at 4 p.m., welcomes adults only.
Opens at 6:30 p.m., welcomes adults and families.
Opens at 6 p.m., welcomes adults and families.
Operators of Hillsborough sheltersare also looking for donations of cold weather clothing like hats, gloves and scarves, as well as blankets and paper goods.
Pinellas Countyshelters will open both Monday and Tuesday nights around 6 p.m. and accept guests all night long, closing at 6 a.m. Guests will be given a hot evening meal and breakfast in the morning.
- Peace Memorial Presbyterian Church, 110 S. Ft. Harrison Ave., Clearwater, 727-442-3677
- St. Ceceila Catholic Church, 820 Jasmine Way, Clearwater, 727-447-3494
- Boys & Girls Club of the Suncoast in Pinellas Park, 7790 61st Street N, Pinellas Park 727-574-5437
- Northwest Presbyterian Church, 6330 54th Ave. N, St. Petersburg, 727-544-4551
- Salvation Army, 1400 4th Street S, St. Petersburg, 727-822-4954
- The Turning Point, 1810 5th Ave. N, St. Petersburg, 727-823-7811
- St. Timothy’s Lutheran Church, 812 E. Tarpon Ave., Tarpon Springs
Families with children are asked to call 727-528-5762 or 727-893-7627 to make arrangements to stay in a motel.
- Community Congregational Church, 6533 Circle Drive, New Port Richey, 727-597-0428.
No families are allowed.
Windmoor Healthcare is offering free cab service to anyone who needs a ride to a Pasco cold weather shelter. Call 727-548-5733 for more information.
And Pasco County Transportation (PCT) is also providing free transportation to shelters on its 14, 21 and 30 bus routes. Passengers need to tell the driver they are headed to a cold weather shelter when they board.
Hernando Countywill open two shelters, one for men and one for women.
- Men's: 1090 Mondon Hill Road, Brooksville, 352-799-2912 ext.103
- Women's: 1163 Howell Avenue, Brooksville, 352-799-2912 ext.109
Copyright 2014 WUSF Public Media - WUSF 89.7