Most Active Stories
- What A Second Term Of Rick Scott Or Charlie Crist Will Mean For Florida Education
- FL Prisons Chief: Bad Guards Won’t Drive Future of Corrections
- USF Cancels African Journalists Visit; Ebola Fears Blamed
- Hospitals Challenge AHCA over Immigrant Emergency Care
- 'First Black Governor' Woos Minority Voters
WUSF News Staff
Off The Base
Fri May 17, 2013
Video: Military Dad Surprises Daughter During First Pitch at Rays Game
Nine-year-old Alayna Adams was chosen to throw out the first pitch at Thursday night's Rays game. What the Dunedin girl didn't know was that the catcher wasn't a pro ball player. It was her dad, Lt. Col. Will Adams, just home from Afghanistan.
After Alayna threw the ball, her father caught it. Then he lifted his catcher's mask. Alayna raced toward him and leaped into his arms.
And yes, the crowd went wild.
Here's the video courtesy of the Tampa Bay Times.
This Times article shares the back story of the surprise.
As for the baseball game, the Rays lost to the Boston Red Sox, 4 to 3. But Alayna Adams definitely walked away a winner.
Off the Base