Most Active Stories
- How Tampa Landed the Bollywood Oscars
- Rays Owner: Tampa Ballpark "Attractive"
- New VA Center Gives Active Veterans a Climbing Wall, Aquatic Center, Putting Green
- WATCH: Behind-the-Scenes of Florida Matters at City Hall in St. Pete
- USF St. Pete Club Baseball Lets Students Play for the Love of the Game
WUSF News Staff
Mon March 25, 2013
USF Women's Basketball Team Gets 1st NCAA Tourney Win
Just like their male counterparts did last year, the USF women's basketball team won a NCAA Tournament game for the first time in team history, as the #10 seeded Bulls knocked off seventh-seeded Texas Tech 71-70 in Lubbock, Texas Saturday night.
Now, they hope to do something else the men did during the tournament a year ago -- beat California.
The Bulls (22-10) were led by Inga Orekhova (20 points, including five 3-pointers) and Andrell Smith (13 points, including two late free throws).
USF plays #2 seed California (29-3) in Lubbock at 9:45 p.m. ET Monday night. Cal topped #15 seed Fresno State 90-76 Saturday.
The USF men's basketball team beat Cal last year in a first round 'play-in' game 65-56, the first NCAA tournament win in school history. They topped Temple in the second round 56-44 before losing to Ohio 62-56 in the third round.