Most Active Stories
- 'Alt For Norge' (Norway) Reality Star Retraces His Roots
- As NASA Considers New Spacecraft, Ukraine Complicates Russian Relations
- Innovation Honored with First Class of Florida Inventors Hall of Fame
- Regulators Take Another Shot at Pot Rule
- Florida Matters Preview: Grady Judd vs. John Morgan on Amendment 2
WUSF News Staff
Wed September 5, 2012
USF Professor Petitions to Remove Chick-fil-A from Campus
The Chick-fil-A/gay marriage debate has hit the Tampa campus of USF. Humanities professor Scott Ferguson has started a petition on change.org to remove the restaurant from the Marshall Student Center.
Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy made remarks against gay marriage in an interview earlier this year and the incident has solicited boycotts against and rallies in support of it.
Sophomore and secretary of P.R.I.D.E., an LGBT student organization on campus, Edwin Rosado said Chick-fil-A doesn't represent what USF is all about.
"USF is about diversity and understanding those differences and coming together as one so I feel like that kind of moral value of togetherness is definitely being stripped away with having Chick-fil-A on campus," he said.
But sophomore and Spanish major at USF, Peter Henry said he's not going to stop eating there.
"I am actually a gay male and I feel that as long as I still get served and I am treated equally then I don't see the problem with it," he said.
Ferguson said the petition spoke for itself and did not want to comment.
As of Wednesday afternoon, the petition had 700 supporters.