Most Active Stories
- Jennifer Carroll Talks About Resigning as Lt. Governor
- Video: Military Dad Surprises Daughter During First Pitch at Rays Game
- New Frank Lloyd Wright House Constructed at Florida Southern
- Reunion Concert Is Retiring Choir Director’s Swan Song
- Video: One Year After Face-Eating Attack, Victim Ronald Poppo Is 'Grateful'
WUSF News Staff
Health News Florida
Wed January 2, 2013
Tampa General Names New President
James R. Burkhart, the president and CEO of Shands Jacksonville Medical Center, will assume the same roles at Tampa General Hospital on March 4, the governing board of the Tampa hospital announced Wednesday.
Burkhart, 58, replaces Tampa General’s retiring CEO Ron Hytoff.
Both hospitals are private not-for-profit teaching facilities with close affiliations to state universities. Both are Level 1 trauma centers and members of the Safety Net Alliance of Florida, a group of hospitals that treat large numbers of uninsured and low-income patients.
Shands, affiliated with the University of Florida Health Science Center--Jacksonville, has 695 licensed beds, according to a press release. Tampa General, the teaching hospital for University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine, is substantially larger, with 1,013 licensed beds.
In a press release, Tampa General's board chairman David A.
Straz Jr. said Burkhart "has the skill set and experience we wanted," and predicted a smooth transition.