Most Active Stories
- Jennifer Carroll Talks About Resigning as Lt. Governor
- Video: Military Dad Surprises Daughter During First Pitch at Rays Game
- New Frank Lloyd Wright House Constructed at Florida Southern
- Reunion Concert Is Retiring Choir Director’s Swan Song
- Video: One Year After Face-Eating Attack, Victim Ronald Poppo Is 'Grateful'
WUSF News Staff
Law & Order
Fri January 18, 2013
Polk City Mayor: NRA Member, Lobbies for Illegal Gun Control
Polk City Mayor Joe LaCascia is fresh back from a trip to D.C. where he joined other mayors across the country to lobby Congress in favor of gun control as a member of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns coalition.
As a part of the coalition, LaCascia lobbied for bans on assault weapons and high ammunition magazines. He also lobbied for comprehensive background checks on all gun purchases.
"Quite frankly I thought everybody had to go through it but I found out that at gun shows at a private sale," he says, "If I had a gun that I brought to a gun show, I could sell it to another civilian who is there and just pass it over to him, take cash, and he would have my gun. And I did not think that was right."
LaCascia is a multiple gun and rifle owner himself and is a member of the National Rifle Association. He says regular people don't have a use for assault weapons.
"To think that a civilian needs a gun where you pull the trigger and could fire three shots in rapid succession with one trigger pull or fire 10 shots like a machine gun, I don't understand why we're even allowed to own them."
Click on Listen above to hear our interview.