Most Active Stories
- Florida Matters: Previewing 2015 Legislative Issues (Medical Marijuana, Testing and More)
- House Gambling Bill Includes Casinos, More Slots - Not For Seminoles
- Fl Wildlife Corridor Expedition Braves the Icy Apalachicola
- Meet the 53rd Brigade NCO of the Year
- Lawmakers Mull Over Mental Health-Criminal Justice Link, Includes More Officer Training
WUSF News Staff
Fri January 18, 2013
Manti Te'o Mum On 'Girlfriend' During Bradenton Visit
As so many strange news stories do, the Manti Te'o fiasco has forged a Florida connection.
The Notre Dame football star has been under the media's glare this week after the sports website Deadspin.com broke news that his supposedly dead girlfriend never existed. But besides issuing a statement Wednesday saying he'd been the victim of an online hoax, Te'o has not addressed the media.
That included a gaggle of reporters who congregated Thursday morning outside IMG Academy in (here it comes) Bradenton, where Te'o who was reportedly training with other NFL hopefuls.
"We all worked from the same playbook," wrote sports columnist Doug Fernandes in the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. "None of us enjoyed any special access to IMG, or knew anyone who could arrange an exclusive interview with Te’o. We stood, talked and tweeted, talked, tweeted and stood."
Why do you think the Te'o story has become such big news? Leave your thoughts on WUSF's Facebook page.