Most Active Stories
- How Tampa Landed the Bollywood Oscars
- WATCH: Behind-the-Scenes of Florida Matters at City Hall in St. Pete
- New VA Center Gives Active Veterans a Climbing Wall, Aquatic Center, Putting Green
- USF St. Pete Club Baseball Lets Students Play for the Love of the Game
- Florida Watches New York Parents Organize Against Common Core Tests
WUSF News Staff
Thu May 16, 2013
Magazine Names Bradenton Among 10 Best Small Downtowns
Everyone knows about the excitement of Manhattan, but Southern Business and Development is singing the praises of America's not-so-big downtowns. The magazine is out with a list of "Ten Wonderful Small Town Central Business Districts in the South."
The mag gave props to Bradenton for its laid-back vibe, theater scene and redeveloped Riverwalk, which debuted in October 2012. Here's an excerpt:
Featuring a little bit of everything from the 400-seat Mosaic Amphitheater to the Family Fun Zone (complete with a splash fountain), the Riverwalk is open year-round and showcases concerts, festivals and other community activities.
Also getting a nod was downtown Stuart, in Martin County, for its galleries, restaurants and boardwalk.
Rounding out the list, in no particular order, were:
- Bardstown, Ky.
- Danville, Ky.
- Sumter, S.C.
- Columbus, Miss.
- Harrisonburg, Va.
- El Dorado, Ark.
- Bastrop, Texas
- Georgetown, Texas
According to the magazine, "Nothing tops off a suitable small town location more than a great downtown."
American Dreams: Then And Now