This week on Florida Matters we visit the office of St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman to talk about his second term in office, which began about a month ago.
WUSF closely followed the St. Pete mayoral race, which Kriseman won last November against former mayor Rick Baker. The often bitter race was seen as a partisan election for an office that’s technically nonpartisan.
We talk with Mayor Kriseman about the challenges that lie ahead for himself and the city this term, which includes bridging the gap between residents that were divided during last year’s race.
Other topics we discuss:
- Kriseman’s stance on sanctuary cities
- Law enforcement
- Supporting the city’s African American community
- The proposal to strip USF St. Pete of its independent accreditation
- The sewage system
- St. Pete’s failed bid to host the new Amazon headquarters
- Mass Transit
- Local governments vs. Tallahassee
You can hear more from Mayor Kriseman on our podcast Florida Matters: More.